The Department of Afro-American Studies is committed to bringing academic research to the broadest possible audience, within and beyond the walls of the university. We believe that the deepest understanding of the complex reality of race in America requires a truly interdisciplinary approach, one that draws on history and literature, the social sciences and the arts.
Approved by the Board of Regents in 1970, the Department of Afro-American Studies at the University of Wisconsin–Madison is an outgrowth of the student concern for relevance in higher education which was so dramatically evidenced on many college campuses during the late 1960s. Today, the department offers a wide variety of courses leading to both undergraduate and graduate degrees and is one of the most successful programs in the country.
Photo Credits, left to right
- Henry Ossawa Tanner, June 21, 1859–May 25, 1937, Public domain
- Ida B. Wells, July 16, 1862–March 25, 1931, Public Domain
- W.E.B. Du Bois, February 23, 1868–August 27, 1963, Public Domain
- Zora Neale Hurston January 7, 1891–January 28, 1960, U.S. Library of Congerss , Reproduction Number LC-USZ62-62394 (b&w film copy neg.) Card #2004672085, Author unknown. No known restrictions on publication.
- Fannie Lou Hamer, October 6, 1917–March 14, 1977, Moorland-Spingarn Research Center, Howard University
- Marvin Gaye, April 2, 1939–April 1, 1984, E Azala Hackley Collection, Detroit Public Library.
- Spike Lee, born March 20, 1957, David Shankbone (the photo license allowing commercial and non-commercial use is public.)
News & Events
Calls and Responses A Symposium on Teaching, Writing, and Community April 26-27 Pyle Center UW MadisonApril 16, 2019
Calls and Responses: A Symposium on Teaching, Writing, and Community Held in conjunction with the retirement of Craig Werner April 26-27 Friday, 1:00 pm-9:00 pm Saturday, 8:30 am-6:00 pm Vandeberg Auditorium Pyle Center UW-Madison Free …April 10, 2019
Congratulations! Thulani Davis received a Vilas Faculty Early Career Investigator Award. Through the generosity of the Vilas Trust, the Office of the Provost is able to provide the Vilas Faculty Early Investigator Awards to recognize …April 9, 2019
- More 'News & Events'